Want to learn to sew? Have a sewing machine and no idea how to use it? Want to make a halloween costume but no idea where to begin? Want to learn to quilt? If you want to learn to sew from the start, this is the class series for you!
No experience required for this class. It really is a zero to sewing. Four 3 hour classes total that run from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Dates listed below.
To register contact the Newberry Art Center at (803) 597-1125.
- Class One Project (Wednesday, October 16th): Pillow Cover
- Class Two Project (Wednesday, October 23rd): Apron
- Class Three Project (Wednesday, October 30th): Zipper Pouch
- Class Four Project (Wednesday, November 6th): Stocking
Cost for All Four Classes: $160
Additional Tools & Materials Needed:
(A complete list will be sent to all those who register.)
- Sewing machine (Limited number available from the center. Reserve when you register.)
- Sewing kits (Limited number available from the center. Reserve when you register.)
- Measuring tape, fabric scissors 8″ plus, fabric chalk, straight pins, seam ripper, sewing needles size 11 universal, thimble, pin cushion, rotary cutter (45mm), cutting mat minimum size 18″ x 24″, Omni Ruler 6″ x 12″, other ruler sizes
- Fabric for each project
- 16″ x 16″ pillow insert
- 14″ Zipper (bring a couple other colors)
- Thread 40 wt Aurifil is preferred by teacher, but other quality brands will work
Skills you will learn:
- The Anatomy of a sewing machine
- Using your sewing machine
- Straight stitching
- French seams
- Turning corners